Friday, March 11, 2011

Complete.

FINALLY. Our little 2.0 is here and our little family is complete. (Until I get baby fever in a few years and decide I need another to add to the chaos after forgetting the fun no sleep newborn stage. haha)
I woke up at around 4:30, showered, did last minute packing, and then went in to kiss my big baby boy goodbye. It was bitter sweet knowing that the next time I saw him, he would no longer be our only child, and that he would be a big brother. It was quite emotional and I'm not sure I had thought about in detail at exactly how his little world was about to change, until that very moment. 
We got to the hospital around 6am and met our nurse, Melissa. She took us to our room and got things started.  I was so nervous/anxious that it was probably a good thing that they don't allow you to eat after midnight the night before your induction. I am pretty sure I probably would have hurled. Haha. Nurse Melissa checked for dilation and we were shocked to know that I was a 5! Even without an induction, baby 2.0 was ready. At 7am pitocin was started and this made me a bit nervous because I had heard all of the horror stories about how it made labor such much worse and so much more painful. Up until then I had still yet to feel a REAL hardcore contraction. With Elias, they gave me pitocin but it wasn't until after I was in full blown labor and pushing. They gave it to me to make my contractions come faster and harder. At 7:20 the on call dr that Dr. E had told us about came in to introduce himself and to break my water. If you remember with Elias, it broke on its own with a funny little story to add. This time I was violated with what looked like a giant chopstick slash turkey baster. Then there was a *POP* sound with a gush. AWESOME, let me tell you. Ummmm no. Ha. Dr. G was a pretty comical guy and said he had hear a rumor that we were having a baby. Ha. After the release of the dam, contractions came on strong and quick. I have a VERY high tolerance of pain, but WOW. They weren't really as painful as I expected but there was no time in between to rest and I was quickly getting exhausted. At 8:20 an hour after breaking my water and starting pitocin, I gave in and asked for an epidural. At 9am, Nurse Melissa came back to check dilation and I was a 7. She then came back at 9:40 and I was at a 9. It was then that we discussed that 2.0 was face-up (just like his brother had been) and how we were going to fix this. For those of you who don't know ( I didn't until after E was born) babies are suppose to be face down in order to move smoothly down the birth canal. For some reason, my babies don't want to be face down and have been face-up. The baby had also not locked into position and "dropped" into the birth canal. (Yet another thing that Elias NEVER did.) We tried laying on my side for awhile to see if baby boy would flip over, but he was stubborn. Laying on your side when you cant feel your bottom half, super uncomfy by the way.   Nurse M then moved my bed until I was basically standing, hoping that gravity would do its thing and pull 2.0 into the birth canal. That was by far the weirdest feeling ever. The epi made my legs feel like they were swelled up 200x their regular size. At 11am, I was checked once again and I was fully ready to go and at 10cm, but baby was still not in position and was now on his side. She let me "hang" out a little while longer before starting to push. At 11:40 we did a few "practice" pushes and with each contraction she would turn 2.0s head. It worked! He finally flipped and we were ready. Keep in mind I was thinking we still had a bit to go. With Elias I pushed THREE hours, yes PUSHED for THREE HOURS before we finally got to see his little face. The team was ready and the dr was paged. We continued to push with each contraction and I focused on the tv as I pushed. CMT was on at their top 20 countdown. The last two songs I remember was Rascal Flatts and Luke Bryan. The Dr. told me he was going to cut me to help some (which is a sound you NEVER forget. EEEEK.) and I told B that he should get the camera ready while we were waiting. I wasnt having a contraction but Dr. G told me to push anyways. I pushed less than a 3 push set and at 12:02PM out came a baby and I heard the most beautiful sound.  A cry. It happened soooo fast that B wasnt even turned around, he had been messing with the camera settings. It was so unreal and soooo different from my first delivery. Push start to delivery...22 minutes.  My first thoughts after seeing our little baby Sawyer, was HE IS SOOO TINY. HA! He is NOT the 8.5lbs they projected, nor did he have a big head. 7lbs 5ozs 21 inches long. He looks EXACTLY like big brother except he has lighter hair with a blonde streak right on the front. He scored a 9/9 on his apgar scores and is just perfect. I still tore but it wasnt nearly as traumatic and painful as with E. TMI (hey its a birth story) but the flared up hemis hurt WAY worse than the tearing and stiches. The only complication was that the epi took HOURS to wear off. I dont think I could actually stand til about 11 that night. All in all it was an amazing experience and I am so thankful for an AWESOME nurse. Looking back I realized that it was definitely the nurse and the way things were handled with Elias birth that made things so difficult. That nurse had me start pushing as soon as I hit 10cm before E had dropped at all. So basically I was doing all the work instead of nature doing its job. With Sawyers delivery I could not be more pleased and happier. Dr. E even came by afterwards when he had a break from his conference to get a peek at baby Sawyer and to congratulate us. That in itself showed me that I was happy with my choice in OBs for this pregnancy. Ok enough talking. This is basically just a reference for me, so if you made it this far, thanks :) Ha. And if it didnt make sense in some parts, again, this is for ME :) to remember this time in my life. Now on to the pics of the birth of our second baby boy, 
Sawyer Collins Jewell...
Meeting for the first time.
lots of hair. lighter than big bros
getting checked by the nurse
7lbs 5ozs
you can see his blonde spot right up front
finally getting to hold him.
our new baby boy


AWESOME AMAZING Nurse Melissa






2.0 onesie Auntie Lindy had made for him.

Auntie Lindy and Addie aka 1.5 meeting 2.0 for the first time

1.0

Our first family picture



me and my boys. sad that this is blurry :(

hospital room entertainment


haha

With Gigi watching baby brother get checked on


Momma, 2.0, and Auntie Lindy
Meeting Gigi (Lindy's Mom)


E wasnt so sure what to think.
He was interested, but stand-offish. 
ok enough baby time. ha
Meeting Auntie Alison for the first time :)

Welcome to the world Baby Sawyer...you are already so loved.

No comments:

 

Template by Suck my Lolly