Tuesday, February 9, 2010

13 (months) going on 30

It amazes me what a child learns that you do not directly teach him. I remember at Elias' One year baby well visit reading this little chart they have up in the exam room. It says that by 18 months your baby should be following simple two word instructions.
B and I kind of chuckled about it because we don't really give Elias' instructions. Or do we? I think that its all indirect things that we do not think about. We have always talked to him as we would talk amongst ourselves, not really talking to him with baby talk, and honestly we do not "teach" him things. Most things that he learns is by watching us and imitating. We didn't teach him to walk, we didn't teach him to say Mama or Dada or cracker. We didn't teach him how to use a fork or spoon or turn a cup up. These are all things that he has watched us do or heard us say. The first time I realized he could understand an instruction or question is when I asked him if he was hungry. He looked at me and then walked into the kitchen and over to the fridge and reached for the handle. The second time was when I asked him if he was ready to go night night and he picked up his blanket and walked into his bedroom and over to his book basket ready for a bedtime story. And the third time is when I asked him to go sit in his seat so we could eat, and he walked over to his booster seat we keep in the floor of the living room and plopped himself down. I am just amazed and in awe at this little person that our baby has become. He has such a cute personality and he does something new every day and is constantly making us laugh and smile. He is absolute joy to have in our lives and is definitely a blessing.

No comments:

 

Template by Suck my Lolly