Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jewell party of 2 and 1/2

Why do they call it 1/2 anyways...is a highchair really make for 1/2 a person? Last night we were THAT table. We were the table that if you have worked in the food/beverage industry, that you would dread. I can remember working as a server/bartender and be so disappointed to look up and see a highchair at my new table. I think the nights of going out to dinner with a toddler are OVER. We decided to go out to dinner at Ruby Tuesdays last night and take advantage of the million and seven coupons that we get in the mail weekly and HOLY COW. Elias was a nightmare and it started when we arrived and there was a ten minute wait. There was another family waiting with two children and he was not happy that we were making him sit on our laps instead of allowing him to get down to meet new friends. I tried snacks, toys, and cell phones and they were all tossed to the side. When we finally sat down, it was only more chaos. The server decided it would be a good idea to set my water in front of a 13 month old toddler, and a fast one at that. Elias grabbed the glass before I could and the ending result was me getting to sit through the rest of the dinner with a soaked lap. Then as I headed off to the salad bar Elias had a Mama's Boy meltdown. The only way Dada could calm him was to get him out of his highchair and walk around with him. I ordered food off the menu that wasnt necessarily what I WANTED but what I thought E would eat some of too. WRONG. He wanted nothing to do with ANY of the food we gave/offered him, all was tossed into the floor. Finally I asked our server for a box and finished my meal at home. (B is a fast eater so he was done before I could even take two bites.) I think after last nights fiasco we will stick to restaurants with a play land and happy meals or Red Robin where he has all of his buddies to walk around with him while Momma finishes her food in peace.

2 comments:

Steph_Byers said...

I had an experience like this not tooooo long ago. I almost cried. I vowed to never eat out again... it lasted about a week. hhaha. I'm sorry you had a bad time :(

Unknown said...

That sucks!

I hate how babies are called 1/2 because they almost take up more space with a highchair and don't order any food (so when the hostess is calculating the guest count, servers with all the 1/2s get screwed!). As a past server, I HATED when high chairs were put at the end of the table so you had to serve OVER a child! We have one of these: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3618751 and put it on next to us on a 4 person table. Preferably a booth, because we can have her chair set up next to me and then she can 'play' in the booth next to daddy and not sit in her seat until the food arrives.

There is one restaurant that we LOVE but always are sat in the kid section...usually next to a kid having a parent-ignored-meltdown, ugh!

 

Template by Suck my Lolly